Friday, January 2, 2009

Rhetoric Overload

Parts of the web are platforms for rhetoric.

The existence of the universe is a puzzle to me and my brain is continually looking for pieces to help me to understand it. There are two major camps when it comes to promoting theories about how we got here, the creationists and the evolutionists. Both sides are evident on the Internet and both sides use much the same tactics and tone. They adamantly submit their ideas and often deride those who belong to the other camp. I get the feeling that these two camps have decided in their minds what they believe and do not easily consider other ideas.

I consider myself a scientist. I am not working in a science field, don't have a PhD., and do not perform experiments. I consider myself a scientist because my mind loves logic. I try to make sense of things and feel vaguely uncomfortable when things don't make sense. I have tried searching for sense in the Big Question on the web but often find discrepancies and illogical statements. In future blogs I will post musings that make sense to me and would greatly welcome logical input. Please, leave the rhetoric at the door when you check in.

1 comment:

  1. Alaninnont,

    It is time well spent to ponder (and research) the mysteries around us. I've read through your posts and it is evident you are seeking answers. I am seeking answers also, but I've become convinced the answers lie in a God/Creater. Like I think you said on one of your posts, the Universe has either always existed or it was created. If it has always existed, the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics would have run its course and all energy in the universe would be evenly distributed - the universe would be "dead." Since this is not the case, it must have been created. Then you start looking at the complexity of life and, at the end of the day, it must have been created also - no other explanation for the first cell. May the Lord Jesus Christ bless your efforts to find the answers you seek.

    Mark Duck - DetectingTruth.com

    ReplyDelete