Friday, January 23, 2009

The Belief Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree

There are a multitude of different religions across the world. Why is it that each religion is focused in a certain region? Generally, Christians are children of Christians, Muslims are children of Muslims, Hindus are children of Hindus, etc. There may be some movement when a particular religion goes into an area and evangelizes but staying with the belief of your parents is a very strong trend. Does it not make sense that if the people in an area are really searching for the truth they would end up with a variety of answers? Shouldn't there be a wide variety of beliefs in every area? Even looking at the denomination situation in North America, the denomination that you go to tends to be the denomination that you grew up in. There are some exceptions but this is the case with the majority of church goers. My conclusion from this is that human beings are not as open to new ideas as we'd like to think we are. We are very reluctant to change our core beliefs. I guess that would explain the heated debate on the origin of the universe. There must be something deep inside of us that resists changing ideas. I have noticed it in my own thoughts. Every time I come across an idea that is contrary to what I currently belief, my initial reaction is to resist it and to try and think of something that would explain it away. Even when I try to look at it logically and impassionately, I usually feel that I am biased to my old way of thinking. I think that it may have a lot to do with fear. Creationists may fear hell, the condemnation of their friends, and looking like hypocrites. Evolutionists may fear the idea of dealing with a creator, the condemnation of their friends, and ridicule. I guess this is getting kind of philosophical but maybe we don't even really realize what we believe. It seems unlikely that someone who is really searching would end up with the same beliefs that they have been indoctrinated with. I'm guessing that people who can openly and honestly look for answers are few and far between.

No comments:

Post a Comment